Saturday, February 29, 2020

Local February Happenings

Happy Leap Day! It's not that we're celebrating exactly, although later tonight I am planning to go see a local band named "Howdy" that plays blue grass music. I'm listening to them play John Denver's "Country Roads" right now, and honestly they sound like some Basque dudes playing John Denver. That is not highly encouraging, but a friend wants to go and I'm up for it. 

It is good to have friends to make plans with when fun opportunities present themselves, like live music, a hike on a sunny day, or a 5K run for women. 

Back on February 16, our friend Connie, who is staying in SS for a few months for the second year in a row, joined us on our favorite hike on an amazingly sunny Sunday afternoon. It was great to be wearing shorts in the middle of February and to enjoy the scenery along the Basque coast. The trail was busy -- we were not the only ones enjoying the sunshine. 


Of course, today it's raining, much more typical for San Sebastian. But overall we've been lucky and the winter has been mild. While it rained nearly every day in November, since then the rain has been far more intermittent and not particularly bountiful. And we've seen a lot of days in the 50s and low 60s, which is totally bearable.

Tomorrow is Lilaton -- a local women's 5K race. I decided to sign up, and another friend, Valeria, was planning to do the race with me, but all the spots were taken, so I'll be flying solo -- with 6,564 other potential new friends. I just noticed that my race bib number is 5983, so there weren't too many spots left when I signed up. My first organized race ever. Hopefully the weather will improve, but unfortunately there is more rain in the forecast. 

We just got back from a trip to the Algarve region of Portugal, which is in the south, and to Lisbon, where the weather was lovely. So, look for more posts soon.

Hasta pronto, 

Shana & Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment